CODATA, an interdisciplinary committee of ICSU that promotes improved scientific and technical (S&T) data management and use, is recruiting an Executive Director. Applications are open now and close on 21 February.
CODATA, founded in 1966, is a non-governmental organization that strengthens international science for the benefit of society by promoting improved scientific and technical (S&T) data management and use. CODATA, formally known as the Committee on Data for Science and Technology, is an interdisciplinary committee of the International Council for Science (ICSU).
To accomplish its mission, CODATA facilitates, mobilizes and engages the knowledge and resources of the international S&T Data community represented by more than 20 national members, 16 International Scientific Unions, 3 co-opted organizations, 20 supporting organizations, and newly established categories of Affiliate and At-Large members. CODATA has a central Secretariat in Paris, co-located with the ICSU Secretariat.
The work of CODATA is performed through a series of democratically elected Task Groups and Working Groups, often in partnership with other organizations. CODATA sponsors an International S&T Data Conference, held in different countries every two years, as well as many workshops and specialized symposia.
CODATA is governed by its General Assembly, which meets every two years. Responsibility for ongoing leadership and management is vested with CODATA’s Officers and the Executive Committee, elected by the General Assembly. The Executive Director reports to the elected Officers and has overall responsibility for implementing the strategic goals and plans of the organization, managing the Secretariat, and overseeing the day-to-day operations of CODATA.
In this capacity, the successful Executive Director candidate will be expected to:
- Act to achieve CODATA’s mission, strategy and plans, and contribute to their formulation and development;
- Work with and seek synergy and harmony among all components of CODATA’s membership;
- Ensure effective collaboration and coordination between CODATA and ICSU as well as other partners and coordinate fundraising in support of CODATA’s programs;
- Serve as CODATA’s primary focal point for all administrative matters and support the CODATA Officers and Executive Board in their designated roles, as set out in the CODATA Constitution; and
- Manage the CODATA Secretariat and its staff and oversee numerous meetings around the world.
CODATA is seeking candidates who:
- Have an advanced degree, preferably in the natural or social sciences, the information or data sciences, management, or law;
- Have at least five (5) years of experience in international collaboration and management of scientific or data programs, preferably with specific experience in relevant intergovernmental, nongovernmental, and/or governmental activities;
- Have demonstrated skills in leadership and communications, as well as strategic, financialand human resources management experience;
- Have proven ability to organize international meetings of 100-1000 people, including both program and meeting logistics;
- Are experienced with and prepared to take advantage of modern technology to conduct virtual meetings and use social media effectively;
- Are willing to travel around the world on a regular basis to represent CODATA and support CODATA activities; and
- Possess full command of written and spoken English, preferably with working knowledge of French and ability in other languages.
As the S&T data world faces virtually unlimited opportunities presented by the Information
Revolution, CODATA welcomes applications from candidates who are presently active in S&T data activities.
The appointment will start in spring 2013, depending on mutual availability, with an initial
probationary period of six months. The incumbent is expected to reside in the Paris area, as
soon as possible after appointment. Work schedules and hours per month are negotiable.
Further information may be obtained by writing in confidence to the CODATA Secretary General at email@example.com.
Applications with full CV, names of three references, and a brief statement of interest should be addressed to the Secretary-General of CODATA at firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 February 2013. Telephone interviews for short-listed candidates will be arranged shortly thereafter.