Nominations for the Zayed International Prize for the Environment are open until 30 September 2015. The prizes, worth in total $1 million USD are awarded every two years, in the name of the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan. Prizes will be awarded for achievement(s) over a long period of time or for a single outstanding initiative.
The Zayed International Prize for the Environment is awarded in 4 categories:
1 – Global leadership in environment and sustainable development US$ 500,000
2 – Scientific/ technological achievements in environment US$ 250,000
3 – Environmental action leading to positive change in society US$ 200,000
4 – Young Scientists Award for Environmental Sustainability US$ 50,000
The first three award categories are open to individuals, organizations and partnerships or projects. Organizations can be Governmental (GO), Non-Governmental (NGO), Community Based (CBO), or Private Enterprises (PE). The fourth award category is solely for young scientists with a minimum educational qualification of master’s degree and under the age of 40 (at the closing date of the application).
The nominee must be nominated by a person respected in their field and must satisfy at least one of the following:
– Advanced the cause of the environment and its contribution to sustainable development.
– Brought to public or policy makers’ attention significant environmental sustainability issues and/or succeeded in mobilizing action towards their solution.
– Mobilized regional/global efforts towards addressing sustainable development issues.
– Successfully solved a major environmental problem, or accomplished sustained environmental improvement for a period of time.
– Contributed significantly to intellectual, scientific or theoretical approaches to environmental concerns leading to positive impact on environmentally sustainable development.
– Undertaken environmental activities and initiatives at the grass roots level, leading to sustainable positive change in society with the potential of serving as a model for replication.
– Research in Environmental Science and Green Technology that has contributed significantly to the improvement of the World Environment and Sustainable Development (Applicable only for the 4th category “Young Scientists Award for Environment & Sustainable Development”)
For all requirements, nomination form, and previous winners, please go online to the Zayed International Foundation for the Environment.