I．Background and Objectives
In response to the needs of developing countries along Belt and Road in disaster risk reduction to tackle the natural and human-induced environmental disaster, “Digital Belt and Road” Initiative (DBAR), jointly with Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) International Programme Office (IPO), IRDR China National Committee (IRDR CHINA), Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth (RADI) and CAS-TWAS Centre of Excellence on Space Technology for Disaster Mitigation (SDIM) conducted an international research program (DBAR-Disaster) to strengthen science capacities for sustainable development and disaster risk reduction under the Digital Belt and Road Initiative. In 2017, we will organize the International Training Workshop on Integrated Risk Assessment Methods Using Spatial and Social Vulnerability Data for Disaster Risk Reduction. With the objective of strengthening integrated spatial and social vulnerability data to enable informed decision-making in different aspects of disaster risk reduction, the workshop will provide a scientific and practical guide on DRR to the participants from developing countries along Belt and Road.
- “Digital Belt and Road” Initiative (DBAR)
- Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) International ProgrammeOffice (IPO)
- IRDR China National Committee (IRDR CHINA)
- Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth (RADI)
- CAS-TWAS Centre of Excellence on Space Technology for Disaster Mitigation (SDIM)
- The Association of Academies and Societies of Sciences in Asia (AASSA)
This workshop is also supported by: Digital Silk Road Alliance of the International Society for Digital Earth (ISDE), International Centre on Space Technologies for Natural and Cultural Heritage (HIST) under the auspices of UNESCO, and Hainan Key Laboratory of Earth Observation.
III. Date & Place
Date: 11 December -15 December, 2017
Place: Sanya, Hainan, China
– Young academicians and researchers in the field of disaster risk reduction
– Young practitioners from national/ local governments and civil society organizations
As the number is limited to 20 people, only those who are qualified can be selected as formal participants. Female applicants will be given priority.
(1) Applicants fill in the attached application forms and submit them to the SDIM Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax +86-10-8217-8959. Application deadline is 1st October, 2017.
(2) The selection group will routinely examine the applications and notify the applicants of the decisions. Invitations will be sent to the selected applicants for visa formalities at the same time.
- Financial Assistance
Those applicants who have been selected will be provided round-trip international airfares between their home countries and Sanya (economy class), and the local expenses such as board and lodging, field tour, local transportation, etc. during the workshop.
The language of the workshop is English. Knowing or speaking some Chinese will be an advantage.
VIII. Workshop Awards
- All workshop participantswill receive a one-year membership to the International Society for Digital Earth if an application to join the society is made by 30th November 2017.
- We will track the performance of participants and ensure that the training is accomplishing its goals. Thebest workshop participants will have an opportunity to be provided travel grants for attending or presenting research at future seminars or conferences to be organized by DBAR.
As is customary, all the participants are advised to take adequate insurance towards health, medical, accident or any other health related incidences/cases during their stay in China. We shall not be responsible for such expenses.
For more information please contact:
Ms. Ni Qingrong
Address: No. 9 Dengzhuang South Road, Haidian District, Beijing 10094, China