IRDR National Committees (NCs) and Regional Committees (RCs) support and supplement IRDR’s research initiatives, and help to establish or further develop crucial links between national disaster risk reduction programmes and activities within an international framework. NCs and RCs will help foster the much-needed interdisciplinary approach to disaster risk reduction within national scientific and policy-making communities, and can serve as important national focal points between disciplinary scientific unions and associations.
The First Consultative Forum of IRDR National Committees was held on 11-12 November 2014 at Wellcome Trust, London, UK, hosted by UKCDS. For information on the meeting and for access to the presentations given, please visit: IRDR’s consultative meeting of National and Regional Committees concludes in UK
Responsibilities of IRDR NCs/RCs
In support of the IRDR Science Plan and the IRDR Scientific Committee, IRDR National and Regional Committee will undertake the following activities:
- Foster and support participation in IRDR on the part of institutions and individual scientists.
- Serve as the national or regional focal point for IRDR.
- Foster networking and collaboration among domestic, regional and international disaster risk reduction science and technology activities.
- Improve science and technology knowledge and considerations of disaster risk reduction science technology in planning, policies and programmes domestically, regionally and internationally.
- Support efforts to update and report on national and international disaster risk reduction activities aligned with the Hyogo Framework of Action’s strategic priorities, with emphasis on the science and technology activities.
- Provide science and technology advice to policy-makers, taking into consideration national, regional and international disaster risk reduction initiatives.
- Assist in fundraising for IRDR activities and projects.
To this end, both NCs and RCs are encouraged to include representatives from the following key groups: active scientists from the natural, social, health, and engineering sciences, policy makers, and managers of national disaster risk reduction programmes.
Ten NCs have been established to date:
1. IRDR Australia
Home Institution: Bushfire & Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre (BNH CRC)
2. IRDR Canada
Home Institution: Science and Technology Working Group, Canada’s Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction
3. IRDR China
Home Institution: China Association for Science and Technology (CAST)
4. IRDR Colombia
Home Institution: National Committee of Disaster Risk Knowledge, National Unit for Disaster Risk Management of the Presidency of the Republic of Colombia (Unidad Nacional de Gestión del Riesgo de Desastres, UNGRD)
5. IRDR France
Home Institution: Scientific Council, Association Française Pour la Prevention des Catastrophes Naturelles (AFPCN)
6. IRDR Germany
Home Institution: German Committee for Disaster Reduction (Deutsches Komitee Katastrophenvorsorge e.V. – DKKV)
7. IRDR Iran
Home Institution: International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (IIEES)
*IRDR Iran is a group of eight Iranian research institutes and scientific associations. These are the:
- International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (IIEES) – coordinating institute for IRDR Iran
- Iranian Earthquake Engineering Association (IEEA)
- Disaster Management Research Institute of Shakhesh Pajouh (DMRISP)
- Iranian Sociological Association (ISA)
- Water Research Institute (WRI)
- Iranian Water Resource Association (IR-WRA)
- Disaster and Emergency Health Department at Tehran University of Medical Science
- Tehran Disaster Management and Mitigation Organization (TDMMO)
8. IRDR Japan
Home Institution: Science Council of Japan (SCJ)
9. IRDR New Zealand
Home Institution: Natural Hazards Research Platform (NHRP)
10. *IRDR the USA
Home Institution: Natural Hazards Center (NHC), Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado at Boulder
*IRDR the USA is a ‘centre of centres’ taking advantage of the research capacities of university-based centres that specialise in different aspects of hazards and disasters and that represent diverse disciplines.
11. IRDR Indonesia
Home Institution: Indonesia Institute of Sciences (LIPI)
12. IRDR the Republic of Korea
Home Institution: National Disaster Management Research Institute (NDMI) in Ministry of the Interior and Safety
13. IRDR Nepal
Home Institution: National Reconstruction Authority of Nepal
IRDR welcomed its first RC in 2013, in the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region, through the newly formed ICSU Regional Office for Latin America and Caribbean (ICSU-ROLAC) Scientific Steering Committee for Integrated Research on Disaster Risk in LAC.
(Last updated May 2018)
IRDR International Centres of Excellence (ICoEs), established through the IRDR Scientific Committee (SC) and the relevant National Committee (NC), will provide regional and research foci for the IRDR programme. ICoE research programmes will embody an integrated approach to disaster risk reduction that directly contributes to the ICSU/IRDR Science Plan for Integrated Research on Disaster Risk and its objectives, as well as the IRDR Strategic Plan (2013-2017).
ICoE and IRDR projects will collaborate to provide global contributions towards achieving the IRDR legacy. In particular, each established ICoE will enable regional scientific activities through geographically-focused contributions based on more localised inputs, and by being visible centres of research to motivate participation in the IRDR programme.
Eight ICoEs have been established to date:
1. IRDR ICoE-Taipei
Home Institution: Academy of Sciences located in Taipei, China
2. IRDR ICoE in Vulnerability and Resilience Metrics (IRDR ICoE-VaRM)
Home Institution: Hazards and Vulnerability Research Institute (HVRI), Department of Geography, College of Arts and Sciences, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, USA
3. IRDR ICoE in Community Resilience (IRDR ICoE-CR)
Home Institution: Joint Centre for Disaster Research (JCDR), Massey University, Wellington, New Zealand
4. IRDR ICoE in Understanding Risk & Safety (IRDR ICoE-UR&S)
Home Institution: Disaster Risk Management Task Force, Institute of Environmental Studies (Instituto de Estudios Ambientales – IDEA), National University of Colombia (Universidad Nacional de Colombia), Manizales City, Colombia
5. IRDR ICoE for Risk Education and Learning (IRDR ICoE-REaL)
Home Institution: Periperi U (Partners Enhancing Resilience for People Exposed to Risks) Consortium, Research Alliance for Disaster and Risk Reduction (RADAR), Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
6. IRDR ICoE in Risk Interpretation and Action (IRDR ICoE-RIA)
Home institution: Centre for Integrated Research on Risk and Resilience (CIRRR), Department of Geography, King’s College London (KCL), London, UK
7. IRDR ICoE for Disaster Resilient Homes, Buildings and Public Infrastructure (IRDR ICoE-DRHBPI)
Home Institution: Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction (ICLR), Western University, Toronto, Canada
8. IRDR ICoE on Critical Infrastructures and Strategic Planning (IRDR ICoE-CI&SP)
Home Institution: Institute for Spatial and Regional Planning (IREUS), Department of Civil Engineering and Environmental Management, University of Stuttgart, Germany
9. IRDR ICoE for Collaborating Centre for Oxford University and CUHK (CCOUC) for Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response (IRDR ICoE-CCOUC)
Home Institution: Collaborating Centre for Oxford University and CUHK (CCOUC) for Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response
10. IRDR ICoE for Disaster Risk and Climate Extremes (IRDR ICoE-SEADPRI-UKM)
Home Institution:Southeast Asia Disaster Prevention Research Initiative (SEADPRI-UKM), the National University of Malaysia
11. IRDR ICoE for National Society for Earthquake Technology- Nepal (IRDR ICoE-NSET)
Home Institution:National Society for Earthquake Technology-Nepal
12. IRDR ICoE in Spatial Decision Support for Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction (IRDR ICoE-SDS IDRR)
Home Institution:Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC),The University of Twente
13. IRDR ICoE on Transforming Development and Disaster Risk (IRDR ICoE-TDDR)
Home Institution:SEI Initiative on Transforming Development and Disaster Risk
14. IRDR ICoE on Integrated Research on Disaster Risk Science (IRDR ICoE-IRDRS)
Home Institution: Asian Disasters Network (ADRN), The Australian National University
15. IRDR ICoE on Resilient Communities & Settlements (IRDR ICoE-RCS)
Home Institution: Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), India
16. IRDR ICoE on in Disaster and Climatic Extremes (IRDR ICoE-DCE)
Home Institution: Department of Geography, University of Peshawar, Pakistan
(Last updated May 2018)